Assam, NBCC Signs MoU To Develop Twin Tower Trade Centre
- Government of Assam signed MoU with National Building Construction Corporation (India) Ltd at self-financing mode, for construction of Twin Tower Trade Centre here at an estimated cost of Rs 1.950 crore.
- The construction work of the Twin Tower will commence from July 2018, at Basistha Crossing near NH-37 with a period of sixty months.
Floating ‘island’ to clean up Neknampur Lake
- The Floating Treatment Wetland (FTW) was inaugurated on World Wetlands Day (February 2) in Neknampur Lake in Hyderabad to clean and purify the polluted waterbody. Plants planted on FTW can clean the lake by absorbing nitrates and other pollutants in the water.
- FTW is joint effort of NGO Dhruvansh, Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority (HMDA), district administration and other organisations. It measures around 3,000 sq. ft and comprises four layers viz. floatable bamboo at base, styrofoam cubicles above it.
- The third layer consists of gunny bags and gravels on final layer to support cleaning agents (plants). Cleaning agents planted on FTW include vetivers, cattalis, canna, bulrush, citronella, hibiscus, fountain grass, flowering herbs, tulsi and ashvagandha.
Celebration of World Wetlands Day at Deepor Beel in Assam
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change in collaboration Assam government organized the national-level celebration of World Wetlands Day 2018 at Deepor Beel, a Ramsar Site in Guwahati.
- The theme for 2018 was “Wetlands for a sustainable urban future”.
- Every year, February 2 is celebrated as World Wetlands Day, to mark the date of adoption of Ramsar Convention on Wetlands.
Inland Waterways Authority of India signs project agreement with the World Bank for Jal Marg Vikas Project on Ganga
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) signed a project agreement with the World Bank, even as the latter entered into a US $ 375 million loan agreement with the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance for Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP).
- The signing of the Agreement follows the approval of the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, for the implementation of the US $ 800 million JMVP for capacity augmentation of navigation on National Waterway-1(River Ganga) from Varanasi to Haldia.
- Out of the remaining amount, US $ 380 million is to be sourced through the Government of India counterpart funds from budgetary allocation and proceeds from the bond issue.
- Another US $ 45 million will come from private sector participation under the PPP mode.
Centre’s plan may boost farmers’ solar power use
- The Centre has announced a ₹1.4 lakh-crore scheme for promoting decentralised solar power production of up to 28,250 MW to help farmers.
- The Centre will spend ₹48,000 crore on the ten-year scheme which was announced in the Union Budget 2018-19.
- Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahaabhiyan or KUSUM scheme would provide extra income to farmers, by giving them an option to sell additional power to the grid through solar power projects set up on their barren lands.
- India had about 30 million farm pumps that include 10 million pumps running on diesel.
EAM Sushma Swaraj returns home after concluding goodwill visit to Nepal
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has returned home after successful completion of goodwill visit to Nepal. This was the first high level visit from India after completion of historic three tier elections in Nepal.
- The meetings held in cordial atmosphere and both sides emphasized upon further deepening unique friendship between India and Nepal.
- After the meeting Prachanda said that neighbors’cooperation is needed for the political stability and development in Nepal and Swaraj has assured India’s full support in it.
Global Investment Summit has been organized in Assam
- The first two-day Global Investment Summit has been organized in Assam.
- The summit emphasizes on promoting investments in the state and the North East. The conference was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Businessmen like Ratan Tata and Mukesh Ambani are taking part in the Summit. Investor’s from Bhutan, Bangladesh, Germany and Japan as well as ASEAN countries will attend the summit.
National Tribal Festival kicks off at Kalagram
- To celebrate tribal culture, cuisine and commerce, a 10-day National Tribal Festival, Aadi Mohatsav, kicked off at Kalagram in Manimajra, Chandigarh, on Friday.
- The event was a collaboration between the Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs and North Zone Cultural Centre, Patiala.
- The event sprang to life with music and dance performance by artistes, who had come from states such as Himachal Pradesh, Ladakh (J&K) and Haryana to showcase the music and dance forms of their states.
Jaitley launches CRISIL-SIDBI CriSidEx, country’s first MSE sentiment index
- Inaugurating CriSidEx, a sentiment index for micro and small enterprises (MSEs) developed jointly by CRISIL and SIDBI, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said that the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises are to help Indian economy ride towards growth.
- CriSidEx is a composite index based on a diffusion index of 8 parameters, and measures MSE business sentiment on a scale of 0 (extremely negative) to 200 (extremely positive).
Reliance to invest Rs 2,500 crore in Assam
- Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani has announced an investment of Rs 2,500 crore in Assam in various sectors, including retail, petroleum, telecom, tourism and sports, creating jobs for at least 80,000 people over the next three years.
- Under this programme, the company will enhance its retail division’s outlet to 40 from existing two, while the number of petrol depots will be increased to 165 from the existing 27.
- Assam has always been a low priority market for other telecom operators, but it is a ‘Category A’ market for Reliance.
IOB receives Rs 173 cr capital infusion from govt
- Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) today said it has received Rs 173.06 crore capital infusions from the government in the current fiscal.
- In a regulatory filing, IOB said it has received Rs173.06 crore as contribution of the central government in the preferential allotment of equity shares of the bank as government’s investment during the 2017-18 fiscal.
India-US trade estimated to touch $140 billion in 2017
- Trade between India and the US is estimated to have jumped substantially from $ 118 billion in 2016 to $ 140 billion in 2017, according to an advocacy group that aims to promote bilateral trade.
- In 2016, India was the ninth largest trading partner of the US and one of the major countries with which America has had a trade deficit of more than $30 billion.
India key to ensuring success of our South Asia policy: US
- India is a key player in ensuring the success of the US’ South Asia policy, US Defense Department has said. India plays an important role in the fight against terrorism which is one of the key aspects of the policy, it added. The US had sought an enhanced role for India in the implementation of the policy.
Cancer vaccine with 97% success rate approved for human test
- A Stanford University study has secured approval to conduct human tests for a cancer vaccine that had a 97% success rate in tests on mice. The vaccine had cured 87 of the 90 mice and the rest were cured after a second treatment. The experiment used two immune-stimulating agents to boost cancer-fighting T-cells, which gets suppressed in cancer patients.
Shabnam Asthana wins Times Power Woman 2017 award
- The Times Group recently celebrated the invaluable contribution of women by introducing The Times Power Woman 2017 (Pune) awards.
- Shabnam Asthana was awarded the ‘Times Power Women of the Year 2017’- Pune for Global PR.
- These awards focused on the women of Pune and the prestigious list included 34 select women with power, supremacy, command and control. These awardees have been instrumental in working towards the improvement of the socio economic, art, health, education, fashion, scientific and intellectual potential of the society.
Filmmaker Benegal up for V. Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award
- Veteran Indian filmmaker Shyam Benegal was set to be awarded the prestigious V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award of the 15th Mumbai International Film Festival for Documentary, Animation and Short Films (MIFF).
- The award carrying a trophy, shawl, citation and cash prize of Rs1 million (Dh57,261) was to be presented by the Governor of Maharashtra, C. Vidyasagar Rao, at the MIFF 2018 valedictory function at the National Centre for Performing Arts.
India wins 7 golds at India Open Int’l Boxing Tournament
- Seven Indian boxers, including five-time world champion Mary Kom, won gold medals in the India Open International Boxing Tournament.
- Boxers Sanjeet, Manish Kaushik, Pwilao Basumatar, Lovlina Borgohain, Pinki Rani and Manisha emerged victorious at the event in Delhi.
- Former world champion Sarita Devi lost to Finland’s Marjut Mira Potkonan by a split decision in the lightweight category.
India beat Australia to win their record 4th U-19 World Cup
- India defeated Australia by eight wickets to win their fourth ICC Under-19 World Cup, the most for any nation. For the first time, an Indian was the top wicket-taker in the tournament after spinner Anukul Roy finished the 2018 edition with joint-highest 14 wickets. India, who remained unbeaten throughout the tournament, also won the title in 2000, 2008 and 2012.