10 ASEAN leaders attend R-DAY parade as chief guests
- Leaders of 10 ASEAN countries has attended India’s Republic Day celebrations as chief guests at the majestic Rajpath, signifying India’s growing ties with the powerful grouping.
List Of 10 ASEAN Leaders:
1) Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong,
2) Vietnamese Premier Nguyen Xuan Phuc,
3) Myanmar’s State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi,
4) Indonesian President Joko Widodo,
5) Thailand Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha,
6) Philippines President Rodrigo Roa Duterte,
7) Lao PDR’s Premier Thongloun Sisoulith,
8) Malaysian Prime Minister Nazib Razak,
9) Brunei Darussalam’s Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah, and
10) Cambodian Premier Hun Sen
Telangana first infertility centre in public health sector opened
- Health Minister C. Laxma Reddy inaugurated the State’s first infertility centre in public sector at Gandhi Hospital on Thursday. The centre started functioning by providing intrauterine insemination for couples where male is infertile either due to low sperm court or poor sperm motility.
International Conference on ‘Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Electoral Process
- A one day International Conference on ‘Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in the Election Process’ was hosted by the Election Commission of India in New Delhi.
- The conference was hosted on the occasion of the 8th National Voters’ Day on the 25th of January.
- The theme for this year’s National Voters’ day was ‘Accessible Elections’.
- The Chief Election Commissioner Sh. O. P. Rawat while addressing the conference, mentioned that that ECI is committed to the objective that the Persons with Disabilities (PWD) have the right to full electoral participation.
- The major initiatives taken by the ECI were highlighted by him to ensure the provision of basic facilities at the polling stations so as to make them conducive for Persons with Disabilities to exercise their right to vote.
- This Conference was a part of the initiatives of the ECI to make elections and electoral processes accessible to all.
- Three sessions were held in the conference in which the delegates gave their presentations and shared their experiences, practices and initiatives aiming electoral engagement and active participation of the PwDs.
- The Election Commission of India also launched its Social Media Hub, comprising Facebook and YouTube as part of its outreach programme for the public at large.
- The Conference has been organized under the VoICE.NET platform which is the global knowledge network having membership from more than 25 Election Management Bodies and International Organisations.
Centre sanctions setting up of second IIIT in Karnataka
- The Centre has sanctioned the setting up of a second Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) in Karnataka at Raichur and it was likely to become operational in the current academic year.
- It will be the second such institute in Karnataka, after the one in Dharwad.
- The state has been asked to provide alternative infrastructure to commence the 2018-19 academic year till it identifies the land for the construction of the proposed IIIT.
- The proposed IIIT will be set up on a public-private partnership mode with land to be provided by the state,.
- Stating that the proposed IIIT-Raichur will bridge the gap in access to quality education in northern Karnataka, Kumar said this was because many of the top institutes like Indian Institute of Science, Indian Institute of Management, National Institute of Fashion Technology, National Law School of India University and National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences are set up in Bengaluru.
Maharashtra bans sale of tobacco at shops selling FMCG items
- The Maharashtra government on Wednesday announced a ban on sale of tobacco at merchant establishments selling FMCG items to ensure children don’t consume tobacco.
- Fast-moving consumer goods include packaged food and other consumables, toiletries etc.
- The FDA has also extended ban on ‘scented supari’ (areca nut) by six months till July 2018.
Uber to launch bike service in Amritsar and Kanpur
- Ride-hailing startup Uber is planning to launch its bike service UberMOTO in Amritsar and Kanpur this weekend with cab services yet to be introduced in the cities. This comes after Uber dismissed reports of exit from India and assured 100% commitment.
- Currently Uber provides cabs, autorickshaws, outstation, and carpooling services in 29 Indian cities while bike services exist in nine.
UDAN-2: 325 more routes; IndiGo, Jet Airways join with chopper operators
- Affordable regional connectivity by air could soon be a widespread reality with India’s biggest airlines joining the ambitious UDAN (ude desk ka aam nagrik) scheme. The aviation ministry has said IndiGo and Jet Airways are among the players awarded 325 routes in the second round of UDAN bidding.
- SpiceJet and Alliance Air, which had joined the regional connectivity scheme (RCS) in the first round itself, have got more routes.
Sushma Swaraj inaugurates Bharat-ASEAN Maitri Park in Delhi
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has inaugurated the Bharat-ASEAN Maitri Park in the national capital, a day ahead of the ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit.
- ASEAN Secretary General Le Luong Minh also attended the event, held at the Tughlaq Crescent, in the heart of Lutyens’ Delhi.
- The two-day summit is expected to give boost to India-ASEAN cooperation in key areas of counter-terrorism, security and connectivity.
UK government announces dedicated unit to combat fake news
- The British government has announced a dedicated national security unit to combat fake news and disinformation. The unit, which will be headed by the UK Cabinet Office, will consistently flag false information on social media platforms. It will systematically deter adversaries and help deliver on national security priorities, Prime Minister Theresa May’s spokesperson said.
Govt. unveils details of recapitalisation plan for public sector banks
- The Union government on Wednesday announced the detailed contours of the recapitalisation plan for public sector banks (PSBs) it announced in October last, including a reforms package across six themes that cover 30 action points such as customer responsiveness, responsible banking and credit offtake.
- The capital infusion plan for 2017-18 includes ₹80,000 crore through recapitalisation bonds and ₹8,139 crore as budgetary support. The bonds are to have a maturity period of 10-15 years and would be issued in six tranches. They will be non-Statutory Liquidity Ratio and non-tradable bonds priced at a three-month average plus a certain spread decided by the government.
- The reform plan sets a goal of ‘Enhanced Access and Service Excellence (EASE)’ and the six pillars to achieve this include customer responsiveness, responsible banking, credit offtake, PSBs as Udyami Mitra, deepening financial inclusion, and digitalisation and developing personnel.
Upgraded Version Of Saras Completes Successful Maiden Flight
- The new upgraded version of SARAS, the indigenous transport aircraft developed by National Aeronautics Laboratory, “successfully” made its maiden flight in Bengaluru.
- The primary objective is to evaluate the system performance in about 20 flights and the data collected from this would be used to freeze the design of production version aircraft.
- SARAS PT1N, a 14-seater passenger aircraft, is an upgraded version of the plane, after the second prototype of SARAS had crashed during a test flight killing all the three crew members on board, on the outskirts of the city near Bidadi in March 2009.
Govt collects Rs 86,703 crore under GST in December
- The government has collected 86,703 crore rupees under Goods and Services Tax (GST) in the last month. The Finance Ministry said one crore taxpayers have been registered under GST so far.
- Of them, over 17 lakh are Composition Dealers, which are required to file returns every quarter. It further added, over 56 lakh GSTR 3B returns have been filed for the month of December till Thursday.
Usha Ananthasubramanian is first woman IBA chief
- Usha Ananthasubramanian, MD and CEO, Allahabad Bank, has been elected the first woman chairman of Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
- Usha was elected IBA Chairman for the year 2017-18 by its Managing Committee.
- Rajnish Kumar, Chairman, State Bank of India, was elected Deputy Chairman of IBA for the year 2017-18.
- IBA is the banking sector’s industry body, whose objective, among others, is to promote and develop sound and progressive banking principles, practices and conventions and to contribute to the developments of creative banking in the country.
Priyanka Chopra Is Now The Brand Ambassador For Harman International
- Harman International, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., announced that actor Priyanka Chopra will be its global brand ambassador.
- The company, which deals with connected technologies for automotive, consumer and enterprise markets said that the actor will be the face of the company for JBL and Harman Kardon audio brands. As ambassador of these brands, Chopra will walk the red carpet at the Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Gala Salute to Industry Icons with other luminaries as part of this weekend’s Grammy celebration.
Hemant Kumar Sharma is new Divisional Commissioner Jammu
- Jammu and Kashmir government has appointed Hemant Kumar Sharma as Divisional Commissioner Jammu.
- Hemant Kumar Sharma was Commissioner/Secretary to Government in Jammu & Kashmir Transport department. He also held additional charge of the post of administrative secretary, science and technology department.
Oscars nominations 2018: Rachel Morrison becomes first female cinematographer to receive a nod
- Rachel Morrison has received the first nomination for a female cinematographer for her work in Mudbound.
- Morrison’s inclusion in the best cinematography category is the first time a woman has been nominated in the award show’s 90-year span.
- Morrison’s work will next be seen on screen in Black Panther.
- She will compete against British cinematographer Roger Deakins, who received his 14th nod for his work on Blade Runner 2049. He has never won the award.
Veteran Bengali actress Supriya Devi passes away
- Veteran Bengali film actress and Padmashri awardee, Supriya Devi (Supriya Chowdhury), passed away today at her residence in Kolkata, following a severe cardiac arrest. She was 83.
- She was also awarded the Banga Vibushan – the highest-ever civilian award given by the Bengal Government, and a Life Time Achievement Award by filmfare during their eastern India version of the award show.
- Supriya Devi made her debut in the Uttam Kumar-starrer Basu Parivar in 1952.