Kids aged less than 5 yrs to get blue Aadhaar
- UIDAI tweeted that children below the age of five years will receive a blue-coloured ‘Baal Aadhaar’ card.
- While the Baal Aadhaar will not carry biometric details of the child, it will be updated with the information after the child crosses the age of five.
- Several schools across Delhi have reportedly made children’s Aadhaar numbers mandatory for admissions.
1st Indian to be banned by NADA for drug
- Athlete Jithin Paul became the first Indian athlete to be banned by the National Anti-Doping Agency for possession of a prohibited substance.
- NADA has handed Paul a 4-year-ban for possession of a banned substance called ‘Meldonium’.
- The anti-doping authority also said that Paul had no justification for possession of the substance.
‘Largest-ever’ sanctions against North Korea
- The US announced the largest-ever sanctions on North Korea as claimed by President Donald Trump.
- The sanctions will target more than 50 vessels, shipping companies, and trade businesses assisting North Korea in evading sanctions.
- The US has been imposing sanctions to put pressure on North Korea over its nuclear and ballistic missile programme.
Chopra quits as ambassador for Nirav’s brand
- Actress Priyanka Chopra’s spokesperson has confirmed that she has quit as the global ambassador of jewellery designer Nirav Modi’s brand following allegations of money laundering against him.
- The actress had earlier accused him of non-payment of dues for several advertisement campaigns.
- Nirav Modi is the prime accused in the $1.77 billion (₹11,400 crore) scam involving Punjab National Bank.
Mahindra arm, Viking Air ally for UDAN plan
- Aerospace Private Limited has signed a MoU with Canada’s Viking Air Ltd. to form a strategic alliance to take advantage of India’s growing regional air connectivity opportunities.
- Under the MoU, both would support each other’s non-competing aircraft business to boost market expansion.
- In India, this portfolio can address the much-needed requirements of regional connectivity scheme, UDAN.
RBI launches Ombudsman Scheme for NBFCs
- The RBI launched ‘Ombudsman Scheme’ for redressal of complaints against NBFCs.
- “The scheme will provide a cost-free and expeditious complaint redressal mechanism relating to deficiency in the services by NBFCs covered under the Scheme,” the central bank said.
- The offices of the NBFC ombudsmen will function at 4 metro centres – Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi.
Sirisena to attend solar summit in New Delhi
- The International Solar Alliance Founding Conference and Solar Summit is scheduled to be held in New Delhi on 11 March 2018.
- Around 500 delegates from all over the world are expected to participate in the Conference including around 30 Heads of State/ Government.
- The ISA aims to mobilize more than US $ 1 trillion of investments needed by 2030 for massive deployment of solar energy.
Assam To Celebrate ‘Rhino Day’ On Sept 22
- In a bid to keep the world famous one-horned rhinoceros of Assam under the global spotlight, Assam Government has decided to celebrate September 22 as ‘Rhino Day’.
- CM Sarbananda Sonowal made this announcement at the 10th meeting of State Board for Wild Life.
- The day for approximately 2500 rhino population in the state would be a tribute to the rhinoceros which are the ‘pride of Assam’.
Pakistan to be on terror watchlist
- China has voted in favour of putting Pakistan on the global terrorist-financing watchlist of Financial Action Task Force (FATF), removing its earlier objections to the move, according to reports.
- Pakistan is expected to be placed on the ‘grey list’ from June.
- The listing could make it harder and more expensive for Pakistan to borrow money from the international debt markets.
US tightens H-1B visa rules
- The Donald Trump has just made it more difficult for companies and individuals to get H-1B work visas.
- Indians and Indian IT companies will feel the impact the most because they are the biggest users of this visa.
- The H-1B is a visa in the US under the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101(a)(15)(H) which allows U.S. employers to employ foreign workers in speciality occupations.
Successful Test-Fires ‘Dhanush’ Missile
- India has successfully test-fired the nuclear-capable surface-to-surface Dhanush ballistic missile with a strike range of 350 km.
- This naval variant of the indigenously-developed Prithvi-II missile was test-fired from the ship positioned near Paradip in the Bay of Bengal.
- ‘Dhanush’ missile is is capable of carrying a payload of 500 kg and hitting both land and sea-based targets.
44th Khajuraho Dance Festival Held In MP
- The 44th edition of Khajuraho Dance Festival 2018 was held at Khajuraho temple, a UNESCO world heritage site in Madhya Pradesh.
- Khajuraho Dance Festival is an annual cultural festival that highlights the richness of various Indian classical dance styles.
- The 6-day festival showcased classical dances including Kathak, Odissi, Bharatnatyam, Kuchipudi, Kathakali and Mohiniattam.
Kunwar Bai passes away
- Kunwar Bai, Chattisgarh’s Swachh Bharat Abhiyan mascot, passed away after suffering from a long time illness. She was 106 years old.
- She was felicitated by PM Modi for her work to make her village open defecation free in 2016.
- She sold her goats for Rs 22,000 and built a toilet at her home with that money.
- Kunwarbai was made Swachhta Doot by Chattisgarh state government.
Former Indore mayor Suresh Seth passes away
- Senior Congress leader and former Indore Mayor, Suresh Seth, breathed his last following an illness at a local hospital. He was 87.
- Seth, known for his charismatic and robust personality, was also called as a ‘Lion of Indore’.
- He aggressively took up people’s issues and cut across party lines to deliver benefit to the common man.
India, Uzbek region ink pharma pact
- Andijan Region of Uzbekistan and Indian Government have inked an agreement.
- This pact envisages cooperation in the implementation of a program for the production of pharmaceutical, bio-pharmaceutical products and medical equipment in the Andijan region of Uzbekistan.
- India and Uzbekistan will work together for attracting direct investments of Indian companies and Uzbek investors.
Birla’s Idea Payments Bank begins operations
- Aditya Birla Idea Payments Bank Ltd commenced operations as a payments bank with effect from February 22, 2018.
- In November 2016, Airtel Payments Bank Ltd became the first entity to start operations as Payments Bank. Paytm and Fino Payments Bank are the other two entities that have already launched their operations.
- India Post Payments Bank is expected to start operations from April 2018.
India, Germany sign pact
- India signed a MoU with Germany to develop modules for providing urban basic services and housing for smart cities.
- The MoU would develop and apply concepts for sustainable urban development providing urban basic services and housing in select cities as well as smart cities in India.
- GIZ would contribute up to €8 million for the project which would run for a period of three years.
Guwahati organises festival ‘Aadi Mahotsava’
- On 23rd February 2018, ‘Aadi Mahotsava’, a tribal festival organized by Assam, began at Gandhi Mandir Indoor stadium, in Guwahati, Assam.
- The ‘Aadi Mahotsava’ is held for 10 days. It was inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
- ‘Aadi Mahotsava’ celebrates the art and culture of tribal communities.
Paytm Launches Two Insurance Companies
- Digital payments startup Paytm has launched two insurance companies, Paytm Life Insurance and Paytm General Insurance.
- Paytm Founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma, CFO Madhur Deora, and Shankar Prasad Nath are the three signatory stakeholders in both the companies.
- In January this year, Paytm announced that it has set up Paytm Money Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of One97 Communications.
ADB and India Sign $84 Million Loan
- The Government of India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed an $84 million loan for improvement and expansion of water supply in Bhagalpur and Gaya towns in Bihar.
- The tranche 2 loan is part of the $200 million multi-tranche financing facility (MFF) for the Bihar Urban Development Investment Program that was approved by ADB in 2012.
- The loan will have a 25-year term.