Daily Current Affairs 17th Jan 2018
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Netanyahu attend inauguration of iCreate centre
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and PM Benjamin Netanyahu inaugurated the ‘iCreate Centre’ at Deo Dholera in Ahmedabad. iCreate paves way for the two nations to jointly script new stories of success through innovation.
- The two leaders also visited the startup exhibition at the venue and interacted with entrepreneurs and innovators. They awarded winners of the India Israel Innovation Challenge 2017. These include 2 challenges each in agriculture, healthcare and water.
Raisina Dialogue: Benjamin Netanyahu hails Modi govt’s efforts to improve ease of doing business
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu inaugurated the third edition of the geo-political conference, ‘Raisina Dialogue’, in New Delhi on Tuesday and laid stress on the need to develop economic, military and political power to emerge as a strong nation.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj also attended the inaugural session.
IWDRI-2018 successfully concluded in New Delhi
- The International Workshop on the two-day Disaster Resistance Infrastructure (IWDRI) was successfully completed in New Delhi. It was set up to discuss the global infrastructure on flexible infrastructure.
- This workshop has been organized by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in collaboration with the United Nations Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR). Minister of State (Home) Mr. Kiren Rijiju delivered the closing speech. The workshop was inaugurated by the Union Home Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh.
Centre sanctions projects over Rs. 10,000 cr in North East for better network connectivity
- The Centre has sanctioned projects over 10,000 crore rupees in the North East for better network connectivity. Talking to reporters in Guwahati, Telecommunication Minister Manoj Sinha said, most of the projects will be completed this year. He said, two MoUs have been signed to cover the uncovered areas in the North East including Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- The Minister said stress has been given to upgrade the network connection in border areas.
West Bengal has highest number of MSMEs
- West Bengal has the highest number of MSMEs in the country with 52,69,814 units, a development which will boost the state during the Bengal Global Business Summit that started today.Bengal accounted for 11.62 per cent of micro, small and medium enterprises, the most among the top 10 states of the country, a senior state MSME official told PTI.The eastern state left behind highly industrial regions like Maharashtra and Gujarat in the race, a data in the 2016-17 MSME ministry annual report showed.
Odisha CM Launches Mukhyamantri Kalakar Sahayata Yojana
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the ‘Mukhyamantri Kalakar Sahayata Jojana’ (MMKSJ) – an assistance scheme for Artists in the state. Around 50,000 artists will be benefited from this.
- The Union Government decided to give Rs 1,200 per month as artist assistance.
- The CM confirmed that the government has also changed the eligibility criteria for availing MMKSJ. Under the new scheme, a male artist can avail assistance after attaining the age of 50 years instead of the existing 60 years.
- The age criteria for female artists have been reduced to 40 years from 50 years.
NITI Aayog launches first course under GIAN Program on Sustainable Urban Planning
- The NITI Aayog launched the first course on Sustainable Urban planning using remote sensing and Geographic Information System (GIS) at IIT Kanpur.
- This is the first course conducted under Global Initiative on Academic Network (GIAN) Program of Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The course aims to give participants state-of-the-art remote sensing and GIS skills to allow them managing rapidly changing the urban environment of Indian cities.
- Its prime focus is on issues such as water resource management, water pollution, and water treatment facilities.
President Ram Nath Kovind confers Sangeet Natak Akademi awards
- Noted theatre personality Ram Gopal Bajaj, dancer and historian Sunil Kothari, Carnatic music exponent R Vedavalli and famous Sitar player Arvind Parikh were conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi’s fellowships (Akademi Ratna) by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- Kovind also presented Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards (Akademi Puraskar) to 43 eminent artists in five categories for the year 2016.
- Those awarded in the field of music include Hindustani vocalists Padma Talwalkar and Prabhakar Karekar, Tabla player Arvind Mulgaonkar, violinist Kala Ramnath, Carnatic vocalists Neela Ramgopal and K Omanakutty, Mridangam player J Vaidhyanathan, Carnatic violinist Mysore M Manjunath, Nata Sankirtana artist from Manipur Ningthoujam Shyamchand Singh, singers Ratnamala Prakash, and Ahmed Hussain and Mohammed Hussain.
- According to the details provided by the Rashtrapati Bhavan, nine eminent artists received the award in the field of dance. Geeta Chandran for Bharatanatyam, Jitendra Maharaj for Kathak, Kalamandalam Ramachandran Unnithan for Kathakali, Maisnam Kaminikumar Singh for Manipuri, A B Bala Kondala Rao for Kuchipudi, Ratikant Mohapatra for Odissi, Haricharan Bhuyan Borbayan for Sattriya, Gopal Prasad Dubey for Chhau, Anita R Ratnam for Contemporary Dance received the award.
- Nine noted artists from the field of theatre also received the award from the President. They are Kusum Kumar for playwriting, Satyabrata Rout for direction, Bipin Kumar for direction, Rajkamal Nayak for direction, Gireesan V for acting, Oinam Biramangol Singh for acting, Mohan Joshi for acting, Anjana Puri for allied theatre arts–Music, K Govind Bhat for Yakshgana, a traditional Kannada theatre form.
- Ten arists were facilitated for their contribution in the field of traditional art forms which included Annabattula Lakshmi Mangatayaru And Leela Sai (Joint Award) for Andhra Pradesh’s traditional theatre (Kalavantulu), folk musicians Yogesh Gadhavi, Vidyanand Saraik, Somnath D Chari, Laxmidhar Raut, Chiranji Lal Tanwar, Gulzar Ahmad Ganie and Braj Kishor Dubey, and puppetry artists Prabhitangsu Das and Dattatreya Aralikatte. Renowned musicologist Pappu Venugopala Rao and renowned dance photographer Avinash Pasricha received the Akademi’s Award for their overall contribution in the performing arts.
Adani Group To Invest Rs. 750 Crore in West Bengal
- Adani Group said it would invest Rs. 750 crore to double the capacity of the company’s edible oil refinery at Haldia in West Bengal. Announcing this at the second and last day of the Bengal Global Business Summit (BGBS) here, Pranav Adani of the Adani Group expressed interest to invest in port, agri and power sectors.
- Adani said Rs. 750 crore would be pumped in to double the capacity of the edible oil refinery at Haldia from 1600 tonne per day in the next five years. Packaging would also be expanded from 1200 tonne to 1800 tonne.
RIL plans to invest ₹5,000 crore more in West Bengal
- Reliance Industries Ltd. chairman and managing director Mukesh Ambani announced a fresh investment of ₹5,000 crore, in addition to the group’s investments about ₹15,000 crore made in the State since January 2015. He said that while West Bengal figured among the group’s largest investments in India, RIL had also emerged as one of West Bengal’s largest investors.
Ronaldinho confirms retirement from football
- Ronaldinho has retired from football, his brother and agent Roberto Assis has confirmed.
- The 37-year-old has not played for a professional team since leaving Fluminense in 2015.
Actor Sudhir Dalvi gets Janakavi P Sawlaram award
- Actor Sudhir Dalvi was honoured with the Janakavi P Sawlaram award at a function held in Mumbai. The award is jointly given by the Thane Municipal Corporation and the Janakavi P Savlaram Kala Samiti.
error: Content is protected !!