Daily Current Affairs 14th Feb 2018
PM to visit Arunachal Pradesh tomorrow
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will visit Arunachal Pradesh tomorrow. At a function in Itanagar, he will inaugurate the Dorjee Khandu State Convention Centre. This Convention Centre has an auditorium, conference halls and an exhibition hall. It is expected to become a significant landmark of Itanagar.
- The Prime Minister will also dedicate the State Civil Secretariat Building to the nation, and lay the Foundation Stone of the Academic Block of the Tomo Riba Institute of Health and Medical Science.
- From Arunachal Pradesh, the Prime Minister will proceed to Tripura on a non-official visit.
President of India in Kanpur; inaugurates international conference ‘Agricon 2018’ and ‘Agriexpo 2018’
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the international conference ‘Agricon 2018’ and ‘Agriexpo 2018’ at Chandrashekhar Azad University of Agriculture & Technology (CSAUT), Kanpur today (February 14, 2018).
- The President emphasised the need to see grain production, dairy farming, animal husbandry and fisheries, poultry, horticulture and sericulture as part of a composite approach to modern agriculture. There is also need to encourage the food processing industry to give farmers a better price and a better deal for their produce.
Jharkhand govt push for SHGs manufacturing pads
- The Jharkhand government will purchase sanitary napkins from SHGs for distribution among schoolgirls, Chief Minister Raghubar Das has said.
- Government had during the recent budget session taken this decision to empower women working in SHGs.
- The state government’s move comes at a time when people have been actively participating in actor Akshay Kumar’s ‘Pad Man Challenge’ on social media.
Radio Umang: India’s 1st Online Radio Station Launched
- India’s 1st Online Radio Station ‘Radio Umang’ was launched recently in India.
- Listeners can tune in to this online radio station through web streaming or download the app.
- With 24 hours programming, it has found listeners in Hindi speaking regions of India and in over 60 countries worldwide.
India-Russia Agriculture Business Summit Held In New Delhi
- India-Russia Agriculture Business Summit 2018 was held in New Delhi.
- The two countries discussed trade relations in the agricultural sector. The summit was organized by the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare.
- Gajender Singh Shekhawat, Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Sergey Beletskiy, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Agriculture, Russia addressed the India-Russia Agriculture Business Summit.
Delhi-Pune in top ten air routes
- Delhi-Mumbai-Delhi, Delhi-Bengaluru-Delhi and Mumbai-Bengaluru-Mumbai routes continued on top, ranked in terms of number of seats deployed.
- Routes such as Delhi-Pune-Delhi have, however, climbed from the fifteenth place in 2007 to the sixth place in 2017.
- It is according to data sourced from civil aviation research firm OAG.
DAC approves proposals worth Rs. 15,935 crore
- In a major decision, the defence ministry approved capital acquisition proposals worth Rs.15,935 crore which included purchase of 7.40 lakh assault rifles, 5,719 sniper rifles and light machine guns to bolster the strength of the armed forces.
- The long-pending proposals were cleared at a meeting of the Defence Acquisition Council, the defence ministry’s highest decision making body on procurement. The sniper rifles will be bought under the ‘Buy Global’ category, the ammunition for these weapons will be initially procured and subsequently manufactured in India.
Ranking system for national sports federations
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports is planning a ranking system for National Sports Federations.
- Aimed at inculcating healthy competition between sports bodies, the rankings will be based on the federations’ administrative capability, transparency, talent-spotting ability, and medal count of athletes.
- The implementation of the sports code will bar officials over 70 years old.
Prasar Bharati shortlists journalists Siddharth Zarabi, Abhijit Majumder for top edit jobs
- A high-level committee has identified Siddharth Zarabi for Head of TV News in DD News and Abhijit Majumder for the position of Chief Editor, Prasar Bharati News Service (PBNS).
- Zarabi with 20 years of work experience is currently Executive Editor of Business TV India while Majumder is Managing Editor of Mail Today newspaper.
- The Prasar Bharati board is slated to meet February 15.
Bajaj Allianz Insurance partners with Quikr
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance has entered into a partnership with Quikr to increase the insurance outreach and offer people with adequate financial protection.
- With 30 million monthly Unique Visitors, Quikr will be a new age distribution channel for Bajaj Allianz’s product.
- Under this key agreement, Bajaj Allianz General Insurance will offer personal lines of insurance products.
‘New RBI norms to spur surge in NPAs’
- RBI’s new norms could result in a jump in bad loans, according to Moody’s unit ICRA.
- The RBI said that for accounts where a bank’s exposure exceeds Rs. 2,000 crore, a resolution plan must be implemented within 180 days from the date of first default.
- In case a resolution is not implemented, lenders should file an insolvency petition within 15 days of the expiry of the 180 days.
Ashok Das appointed Indian envoy to Brazil
- Ashok Das, a 1987 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, was named India’s new Ambassador to Brazil.
- Das, presently additional secretary in the external affairs ministry, is expected to take up his assignment shortly, according to a ministry statement.
- Both India and Brazil are members of the BRICS economic grouping that also includes China, Russia and South Africa.
RIL to invest in mobile making unit at Tirupati
- Reliance Group would set up an electronic manufacturing park in 150 acres at Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh.
- The park will have a mobile phone manufacturing plant that can produce 10 million Jio Phones per year besides other electronic product facilities, including that of television sets, batteries, set-top boxes among other things, the state government announced after a high level meeting between Reliance Group chairman Mukesh Ambani and chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu on Tuesday.
Citibank India bans use of its cards to buy cryptocurrencies
- Citibank India has banned the use of its credit and debit cards towards purchase or trading of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin.
- It said the decision came following concerns expressed by the RBI regarding potential risks associated with cryptocurrencies.
- The government had said it will take all measures to eliminate use of cryptocurrencies in illegitimate activities but did not declare them illegal.
Parbati Ghose Died at the age of 85
- Parbati Ghose, Odisha’s first female filmmaker, passed away at the age of 85 following a prolonged illness here on Sunday night.
error: Content is protected !!