Daily Current Affairs 11th Feb 2018
List Of MoUs/Agreements Signed Between India and Palestine
List Of MoUs/Agreements Signed Between India and UAE
Maharashtra roots in ‘MahaMitra’ for youths to encourage the healthy use of social media for development
- Maharashtra has started an initiative to connect with youth on social media- initiative called as “MahaMitra”. Maharashtra government has started this initiative with an aim to encourage youngsters for coming forward and sharing their success stories and felicitating those working for a good cause as ‘social media leaders’.
- To achieve this, the state has launched a mobile application, where those interested can register to participate in the selection process. So far, 25,000 people across the state have registered themselves on the app, also called Social Media MahaMitra.
- The initiative is being headed by the Directorate General of Information and Public Relations (DGIPR), a government-run agency to disseminate information to print and electronic media on government policies.
Northern Railway gets Rs 90 bn for enhancing signalling system
- The Northern Railway has been allocated Rs 90 billion in the railway budget 2018-2019 to modernise its entire signalling system by embracing the world’s most advanced technology.
- For the year 2018-2019, the outlay is Rs 5.65 billion. Additional funds will be released each year according to the requirement.
- European Train Control System II or ETCS Level II technology is the most modern radio-based signalling system in the world.
International Conference on Unani Medicine
- The International conference on Unani Medicine was inaugurated by Dr. Jitendra Singh at New Delhi.
- The theme of the conference is Integration of Unani System of Medicine in main stream healthcare.
- It is organized by Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine, under the Ministry of AYUSH.
- This year is special for Unani fraternity as it is the 150th Birth Anniversary of Hakim Ajmal Khan.
Delhi government, MoEF jointly launch ‘Clean Air Campaign’
- The Delhi government the MoEF jointly launched the Clean Air Campaign, which will continue for 2 weeks till February 23.
- As part of the Campaign, 70 teams have been constituted, comprising 1 officer of MoEF&CC & another from Delhi govt, who will be the co-leaders of the team.
- Campaign would include enforcement of pollution-control measures for vehicles, driving discipline & inspection of power plants.
Rajnath Singh inaugurates first of its kind spoken Sanskrit centre
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh has launched the Centre for learning Sanskrit language in Gujarat University in Ahmedabad.
- It will offer a 6 month course for people on how to speak the language, anybody who loves Sanskrit can join this course.
- For the course, no prior knowledge of Sanskrit is required, the minimum strength of the class will be 30 students while the fees has been fixed at Rs 500.
Over 2000 people play Shankh at Rajim Kumbh Mela to create world record
- A record was set on the second day of Rajim Kumbh Mela in Chhattisgarh after over 2,100 saints and locals blew ‘shankh’ (conch shells) together. Golden Book of World Records certified the record. Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh had inaugurated Rajim Kumbh Mela and Ganga Aarti performance at banks of river Mahanadi in Gariyaband’s Rajim.
China reopens Nathu La route for Kailash Mansarovar yatra
- China has confirmed “resumption” of Kailash Mansarovar Yatra through the Nathu La route, Minister of State for External Affairs V K Singh has said.
- The Kailash Mansarovar yatra via Nathu La was not undertaken last year after the Chinese government cited “unfavourable conditions” to ensure the safe and smooth conduct of the yatra on this route.
- The yatra was stopped by China in the aftermath of the military face-off with India last year at Doklam. China demanded withdrawal of Indian forces from the site.
Abu Dhabi to get its first Hindu temple
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday inaugurated a project for the construction of the first Hindu temple in Abu Dhabi, describing it as a “catalytic agent” of humanity and harmony that would become a medium of India’s identity.
- He laid the foundation stone for the Swaminarayan temple of the Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha through videoconferencing from the Dubai Opera House, where he addressed the members of the Indian community.
PNB signs pact with National e-Gov Services
- Punjab National Bank has signed an agreement for information utility with National e-Governance Services Limited.
- The objective of the agreement is to augment the information infrastructure in India. The agreement will enable storing of financial information that will help substantiate defaults and verify claims expeditiously.
- This will in turn facilitate resolution in the National Company Law Tribunal in a time bound manner, according to a PNB release.
Reliance Industries Limited wins Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Social Responsibility for 2017
- Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has won the Golden Peacock Award 2017 for the success of its Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives and, in particular for the transformative work done by Reliance Foundation, the CSR arm of the company.
- RIL was recognised by the awards jury under the Chairmanship of Justice (Dr) Arijit Pasayat, former judge of the Supreme Court.
- Under its rural transformation initiative, Reliance has been implementing a programme called “Bharat-India Jodo (BIJ)” that works closely with marginal and small farmers for improving their lives and making agriculture a first choice profession.
SBI wrote off bad loans worth over ₹20,000 crore last fiscal
- India’s largest lender SBI wrote off bad loans worth ₹20,339 crore in 2016-17, the highest among all the state-owned banks. The data pertains to the period when the associate banks of SBI and Bharatiya Mahila Bank were not merged with it. All the public sector banks wrote off ₹81,683 crore during the fiscal, a three-fold jump in 5 years.
Ikea opens ₹100-crore distribution centre in Pune
- Swedish furniture giant Ikea has opened a ₹100-crore distribution centre spread over 2.3 lakh square feet in Pune. The company has also said it is looking for land in Maharashtra to build more facilities with an investment of ₹750 crore. The distribution centre will service its first store in India scheduled to be opened in Hyderabad this year.
Mumbai 12th richest city globally; total wealth at $950 billion
- India’s financial capital Mumbai, with a total wealth of $950 billion, has been named among the top 15 wealthiest cities globally, while New York topped the list, says a report.
- According to a report by New World Wealth, the economic hub of India is the 12th wealthiest city, followed by Toronto with a total wealth of $944 billion, Frankfurt (14th, $912 billion) and Paris (15th, $860 billion).
- Mumbai, also features among the top 10 cities in terms of billionaire population. The city is home to 28 billionaires, individuals with $1 billion or more in net assets.
Microsoft and Paisabazaar come together to develop industry-first innovations based on AI and machine learning
- Microsoft and online marketplace Paisabazaar.com on 10 February announced that they have entered into a partnership to develop “industry first” innovations on the tech giant’s Cloud platform using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning.
- As part of the overall partnership, Paisabazaar.com will move its entire infrastructure to Microsoft Azure Cloud, the companies said in a statement.
- By building the technology on Microsoft Cloud, Paisabazaar.com would offer customised, tailor-made and secure solutions for each consumer coming to its platform.
Alibaba to invest $865 mn in China’s home improvement chain
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba is planning to invest $865 million for a 15% stake in China’s home improvement chain, Easyhome.
- The investment underscores the company’s retail strategy, aimed at leveraging offline and online activities, Alibaba said in a statement.
- Easyhome, which started operations in 1999, is China’s second-biggest home improvement supplies and furniture chain operator.
Indian-origin teen develops ‘Safe Travel’ app in 40 hours
- Indian-origin teenager Medha Gupta has developed an app called Safe Travel which sends alerts to emergency contacts if a user does not reach their destination on time. It reportedly took her 40 hours to design, program, test and troubleshoot the app. She also won the annual Congressional App Challenge for the app which is only compatible with iOS.
Tushar Mehta to be the new SPP for 2G case
- The Central government has appointed Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta as the Special Public Prosecutor for cases related to the 2G scam.
- However, the status of current SPP Anand Grover appointed by the Supreme Court remains unclear.
- On December 21 last year, a special CBI court acquitted all the accused in the 2G scam, including former telecom minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi.
HDFC Bank appoints Rakesh Singh as private banking head
- Private sector lender HDFC Bank has announced appointment of Rakesh Singh as private banking head.
- He will continue to head the bank’s investment banking, capital markets and financial institutions businesses.
- Private banking is wealth management service of the bank catering to High Net Worth and ultra-HNW individuals, families and establishments, who aim to successfully manage and grow their wealth.
Muthoot Group ropes in Amitabh Bachchan
- The Muthoot Group, a leading business conglomerate has engaged Amitabh Bachchan as their Brand Ambassador.
- Amitabh Bachchan will hereafter be representing The Muthoot Group across all their national campaigns.
- The Muthoot group has interests in Financial Services, IT, Media, Healthcare, Education, Power Generation and operates in 29 states in India.
Sharmila first Indian to qualify for China LPGA Tour
- Sharmila Nicollet has become the first Indian golfer to qualify for the China Ladies PGA Tour.
- The 26-year-old Bengaluru golfer fought her way back into the tournament in the last two rounds to earn a card for the Tour, which had Women’s World rankings points also.
India’s 4-time Asian champion comes 34th at his 6th Olympics
- Four-time Asian champion India’s Shiva Keshavan on Sunday finished 34th out of 40 in the men’s singles luge event at PyeongChang Games, his sixth Winter Olympics campaign.
- The 36-year-old Himachal Pradesh-born athlete’s best finish at the Games had come in 2006 in Turin when he finished 25th. Shiva is one of the two Indians who qualified for the 2018 Games.
Speed skater wins silver by 0.002s margin in photo finish
- Canada’s Ted-Jan Bloemen won a silver medal in men’s 5,000m speed skating with a margin of 0.002 seconds after a photo finish at the Winter Olympics on Saturday.
- The 31-year-old registered a timing of 6:11.616, edging out Norway’s Sverre Lunde Pedersen by two-thousandths of a second. Netherland’s Sven Kramer won the event after clocking Olympic record timing of 6:09.76.
Pune swimmer world’s youngest to complete Ocean 7 Challenge
- Pune-based swimmer Rohan More became the youngest in the world and first Asian to complete the Ocean Seven Challenge, which involves crossing seven of the world’s toughest ocean channels covering a distance of around 200 km.
- The 32-year-old, who is just the ninth swimmer in history to complete the challenge, said he was trying to attempt this swim since 2015.
error: Content is protected !!