Daily Current Affairs 07th Feb 2018
Maharashtra govt to develop app for auto rickshaws in Pune
- The Maharashtra government has announced plans to develop a mobile application for regulating auto rickshaws in Pune, making the service transparent and efficient.
- The app will be beneficial for commuters as most auto rickshaws reportedly do not ferry customers for short distances and overcharge at odd hours. An agency will be roped to develop the app, officials said.
First-Ever Pelican Festival Held At Atapaka Bird Sanctuary In Andhra Pradesh
- The Andhra Pradesh government decided to hold the first-of-its-kind, one-day Pelican Festival at the Atapaka Bird Sanctuary on Kolleru.
- Kolleru is one of the largest freshwater lakes in the country.
- Atapaka village is located on the borders of the Krishna and the West Godavari districts.
Commerce Minister Stated Consultations on The New Industrial Policy
- Commerce and Industries Minister Mr Suresh Prabhu set off a series of nation-wide consultations with the industry on the proposed new Industrial Policy. The first consultation was held at Guwahati in February 2, 2018.
- The event, organized by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) in partnership with Federation of Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), was attended by more than 120 industrialists from the North East in addition to government officials from the North Eastern States.
60 Solar Cities to be developed across country
- The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy under its scheme “Development of Solar Cities” has approved/sanctioned 60 Cities including 13 Pilot and 5 Model Cities up to 12th Five-year Plan period.
- Solar PV projects with aggregate capacity of 8069.16 kWP and Solar Water Heating System with aggregate capacity of 7894 meter square collector area have been sanctioned under the programme.
- While Rs. 101.64 crore has been sanctioned, Rs. 25.92 crore has been released under scheme “Development of Solar Cities” so far.
President Ram Nath Kovind Inaugurates Mahamastakabhisheka Utsav
- The President of India Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the 88th Mahamastakabhisheka Utsav of Lord Gomateshwara in Hassan district of Karnataka.
- Mahamastakabhisheka of Gommateshwara, who is also known as Bahubali takes place once in 12 years. It is an important Jain pilgrimage centre and lakhs of tourists visit Shravanbelagola to see 57 feet tall monolithic stone statue.
India-UAE to ink 12 pacts during PM Modi’s visit
- As many as 12 agreements will be signed during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the UAE later this week as India and the oil-rich Gulf nation look to intensify economic cooperation, a top diplomat said today.
- The agreements will include areas like finance and skills development. The Prime Minister will participate in the 6th World Government Summit in Dubai on February 10-11 in which India is a partner country.
5th South Asia Region Public Procurement Conference Held In New Delhi
- The Fifth edition of South Asia Region Public Procurement Conference was held in New Delhi. It was hosted by Public Procurement Division (PPD) of Ministry of Finance and All India Management Association (AIMA).
- It was held under auspices of South Asia Region Public Procurement Network (SARPPN), which is sponsored and facilitated by the World Bank, Asian Development Bank and Islamic Development Bank.
- The theme this edition of conference was “Public Procurement and Service Delivery”. It aims to strive to improve public procurement of member countries to ensure timely and quality delivery of public services.
- Its objective was to enable heads of Public Procurement and other key stakeholders in 8 South Asian countries (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan) to meet and learn from one another and from experts in field of public procurement.
- It will help South Asian Governments to consider enhancements and innovations in their public procurement systems, enable efficient utilization of public resources, ensure quality and timeliness in delivery of services.
India successfully test-fires nuclear capable Prithvi-II
- India today successfully test-fired its indigenously developed nuclear capable Prithvi-II missile as part of a user trial by the Army from a test range in Odisha, Defence sources said.
- The trial of the surface-to-surface missile, which has a strike range of 350 km, was carried out from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur near here at around 11.35 am, they said.
Sweden commits record $370m aid to UN World Food Programme
- Sweden and the United Nations World Food Programme signed a Strategic Partnership Agreement committing an unprecedented $370 million dollars to WFP over the next four years.
- The contribution for the period 2018-2021 is the biggest ever made by a donor within a WFP Strategic Partnership Agreement.
- For almost a decade, the Swedish government has been the largest donor of flexible funds to WFP whereas 90% of government funding to WFP is earmarked for specific operations or activities.
Uber, transport ministry join hands to encourage road safety awareness
- As part of its ongoing efforts to encourage road safety awareness, on-demand ride-sharing company Uber has joined hands with Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to push for the cause in the country which witnesses around 500,000 accidents every year.
- Uber will jointly promote road safety messaging on its mobile application and the social media through co-branded materials and mediums.
CSE Ranked Top Environment Policy Think Tanks In India
- The Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) has been ranked the top environment policy think tanks in India while it has secured the 16th position in global rankings, climbing up two positions from the last year.
- The rank was given by The Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) of the Lauder Institute at the University of Pennsylvania.
- In the ‘Energy and Resource Policy Think Tanks’ category, CSE has been ranked the 2nd in India and 38th in the world. In the ‘Best Independent Think Tanks’ category, the green body has been ranked 6th and 123rd in the world.
Google launches #SecurityCheckKiya campaign to safeguard internet users
- Google has launched #SecurityCheckKiya campaign which aims at promoting security awareness among general public.
- The campaign which was launched on Safer Internet Day targets not only youngsters and new users but also internet savvy users, and advises them to take a three-step action to ensure their security settings are in place.
- According to Google, the three steps will safeguard a user’s Android mobile device and account against several online threats such as hijacking, malicious apps and loss of personal data.
Google to buy Chelsea Market building for over $2 billion
- Alphabet Inc’s Google has agreed to pay more than $2 billion for New York City’s Chelsea Market building, the Real Deal reported on Tuesday, citing people familiar with the matter.
- Google, already the largest tenant with about 400,000 square feet in the building, is buying the property from Atlanta-based real estate investment firm Jamestown LP, the real estate website reported.
- Google’s plans for the building were unclear but it is expected to maintain the status quo at the property’s retail component, according to the report.
ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank approve JFC Finance’s bid to acquire insolvent Palogix Infrastructure
- ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank have approved JFC Finance (India) Ltd’s bid to acquire the insolvent Palogix Infrastructure, a 20-year old firm in railways logistics.
- JFC Finance, the Delhi-based non banking firm, has proposed to acquire close to 80% in Palogix for Rs 100-crore.
- The logistics firm owes Rs 150 crore to creditors.
Hardayal Prasad appointed as SBI Card MD & CEO
- Hardayal Prasad is appointed as New MD & CEO of SBI Card the country’s second largest credit card issuer
Prasad has taken over from Vijay Jasuja, who superannuated on January 31.
- Prior to this appointment, Prasad was with State Bank of India, holding multiple leadership positions in the bank.
6th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement Released by RBI
- The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) decided to keep the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) unchanged at 6.0%.
- Consequently, the Reverse Repo Rate (RRR) under the LAF remains at 5.75%, and the Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate at 6.25%.
- GVA growth for 2017-18 is projected at 6.6%. GVA growth for 2018-19 is projected at 7.2% overall with risks evenly balanced.
Google and NCERT join hands to teach students digital safety
- Google and NCERT on Tuesday signed a pact to integrate a course on ‘Digital Citizenship and Safety’ in information and communication technology curriculum.
- “Internet can be used be phenomenonly in helping us, it has a potential of damaging the social structure and damaging an individual. It is extremely important for us to understand how can we keep ourselves safe,” Union School Education Secretary Anil Swarup said on the occasion.
- The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has curriculum on IT and communication technologies embedded in teachers training programme.
- The curriculum developed by NCERT in collaboration with Google will be used to train students from class I – class XII across 1.4 million schools in India where they will learn how to become good and responsible digital citizens.
Jhulan Goswami 1st Woman in the World to Take 200 ODI Wickets
- Indian women’s cricket team pacer Jhulan Goswami has become the first woman in the world to take 200 wickets in ODI cricket.
- Goswami achieved the feat playing in her 166th ODI against South Africa. Goswami had become the leading wicket-taker in women’s ODI in May 2017, overtaking former Australian pacer Cathryn Fitzpatrick’s record of 180 wickets.
Kathakali Maestro Madavoor Vasudevan Nair Passes Away
- Kathakali maestro Madavoor Vasudevan Nair collapsed on stage and died while performing at Agasthyacodu Mahadeva Temple, Kerala. He was 89.
- He was the Padma Bhushan award recipient.
Former Minister Gali Muddukrishnama Naidu passes away at the age of 70
- Former Minister and presently member of Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council Gali Muddukrishnama Naidu (70) died of heart attack in Hyderabad.
- Belonging to the Telugu Desam Party, Mr. Naidu had unsuccessfully contested last Assembly elections against actor-turned-politician Roja from Nagari constituency in Chittoor district.
error: Content is protected !!