Vice President Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated first International Kala Mela
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the first International Kala Mela at the Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts in New Delhi.
- The objective of the event is to focus on direct interaction between the artist and the connoisseur and also educating and raising awareness about art. The Art Festival, organised by Lalit Kala Akademi, will continue till the 18th of this month wherein artists and groups will showcase their work.
- Some the countries taking part in the event are China, Venezuela, Portugal, Sri Lanka, Poland, Mexico, Bangladesh, France, United Kingdom, Spain and Brazil.
- During the mela, different art workshops and activities like Visual Art Film Festival, Pottery, Pattachitra, Paper Mache workshops, Best from waste workshop, Musical performances will be organised.
I&B ministry mulls expansion of DD news broadcast to 100 countries
- The Information and Broadcasting ministry is mulling expansion of Doordarshan’s round-the-clock news broadcast to around 100 countries with a view to reaching out to the diaspora and put across India’s perspective on domestic and international issues.
- Currently, DD India primarily produces various cultural and general entertainment programmes for broadcast in overseas countries.
- It also produces round-the-clock news and current affairs programmes for broadcast in only a few countries, including Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, China and the United Arab Emirates.
Maratha LI regiment marks 250 years of rising
- Maratha Light Infantry (LI) regiment celebrated its 250th regimental day on Sunday.
- It is one of the oldest and most decorated regiments of the Indian Army with 56 battle honours and 10 theatre honours.
- Lt. Gen. Pannu stated that the Maratha LI was the first infantry unit to be designated “light infantry” by the British during the first Afghan war for being “swift-footed.”
US Air Force Chief Flies In ‘Made-In-India’ Tejas Aircraft In Jodhpur
- General David L Goldfein, Chief of Staff of US Air Force flew in India’s indigenous light combat aircraft, the Tejas in a special flight that took off from the Jodhpur Air Force Station, signalling the soaring ties between the two air forces.
- The US Air Force chief was accompanied by Air Vice Marshal AP Singh as co-pilot during the 40-minute sortie.
- General Goldfein is the first foreign chief commander to fly in the multi-role light fighter, which is being pitched as the replacement of the ageing MiG-21 aircraft.
Global Buddhist Peace Festival kicks off Saturday
- The largest online global chant for world peace is all set to take place here as part of a peace festival that kicks off on Saturday.
- The chant is a part of first-of-its-kind festival of Buddhist Heritage, titled “Global Shanti: Amaravati Buddhist Heritage Festival”.
- Hosted by Andhra Pradesh Tourism Authority, the festival will reach its culmination on Feb 5.
- Over 1,000 monks and artists from different countries will participate in the festival and a greater number of participants are expected to join for the global chant that will take place on Sunday.
Sri Lanka celebrates 70th anniversary of Independence Day
- Sri Lanka celebrated its 70th anniversary of Independence Day on Sunday with grand military parades and attendance of political celebrities.
- Sri Lanka tri forces held a colorful grand parade along the Galle Road, close to the Colombo Harbour to celebrate its 70th anniversary of independence from the British colonial rule in 1948.
- The theme of this year’s ceremony was “One Nation”.
Pakistan, Afghanistan agree to continue talks on joint action plan
- Top-level civilian and military officials from Islamabad and Kabul on Saturday agreed to some points of the Afghanistan-Pakistan Action Plan for Peace and Solidarity (APAPPS) and decided to continue discussions to reach an agreement on the entire blueprint for bilateral engagement.
- The meeting comes in the backdrop of a series of deadly attacks that rattled Kabul, after which a high-level delegation from Afghanistan comprising the interior minister and spy chief had visited Islamabad this week with a ‘personal message’ from President Ashraf Ghani.
New Manchester-India Partnership launched in UK
- A new Manchester-India Partnership (MIP) aimed at connecting Indian companies with the northern regions of England has been set up to further trade, investment, science and innovation ties between India and Britain.
- The public-private initiative between India and Manchester, a core city of what has been termed as the Northern Powerhouse in Britain, is backed by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and will have permanent full-time teams based in Manchester, Delhi and Bangalore.
- Jim O’Neill, the economist who coined the phrase BRICS in reference to Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa as the emerging economies of the world, officially launched the partnership at an event hosted by the Indo-British All Party Parliamentary Group on the terrace of the Houses of Parliament on Thursday.
Japan Launches Smallest Satellite Carrying Rocket Successfully
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) launched on Saturday the world’s smallest rocket with the ability to put a micro-satellite into orbit, following a failed attempt and several postponements over the last year.
- The launch of the low-cost rocket — with a height of 10 metres and 53 centimetres in diameter — took place from the Uchinoura Space Centre in Kagoshima prefecture and was aired live on YouTube.
Allahabad Bank eyes Rs 270 crore capital from staff share offer
- Allahabad Bank is aiming to raise Rs 250-270 crore from the employee share offer which started from January 31, 2018, a top official of the bank has said.
- The offer would remain open for two weeks.
- The bank is giving a 25% discount on pricing at Rs 53.94 per share to the employees.
- The bank is also planning to come with a qualified institutional placement (QIP) in the third week of March to raise around Rs 1,000 crore, Subramanian said.
Assam gets investment proposals of nearly Rs 70000 crore
- The first-ever global investors summit in Assam has seen investment commitments to the tune of nearly Rs 70,000 crore in various sectors, including petroleum, telecom, health and tourism, Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the two-day event yesterday. Bhutanese PM Tshering Tobgay, several Union ministers,chief ministers of neighbouring Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur, ambassadors and high commissioners of 16 countries, RIL chairman Mukesh Ambani, Tata Sons chairman N Chandrasekharan attended the meet.
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) and Numaligarh Refinery Ltd planning toinvest Rs 3,432 crore and Rs 3,410 crore.
- TheTata Trusts will invest Rs 2,000 crore to implement acancer care programme jointly with the Assam government in 17 centres across 15 districts of the state from next year, theproject will see an investment of around Rs 2,000 crore.
- RIL chairman and MD Mukesh Ambanihas announced an investment of Rs 2,500 crore in Assam in varioussectors, including retail, petroleum, telecom, tourism andsports, creating jobs for at least 80,000 people over the nextthree years.
- Indo-UK Institute of Health will be investing Rs 2,700 crore, while Century Ply has shared plans of investing Rs 2,100 crore.
- Spicejet chief Ajay Singh has announced the plans of Rs 1,250 crore investment in Assamthrough seaplanes to boost the tourism sector besidesconnecting Lakhimpur and Jorhat under the recently launched central government scheme ‘Udaan’.
- Infinity Group will be investing Rs 1,000 crore in an IT park and real estate project in Guwahati, theMedanta Group proposed Rs 500 crore investment in the healthcaresector and Dalmia Bharat Cement announced an investmentto the tune of Rs 1,100 crore.
- Other major companies announcing investments in Assam areBPCL (Rs 350 crore), Essel Infraprojects (Rs 6,000 crore), Star Cement (Rs 2,100 crore), Infinity Infotech Parks (Rs1,000 crore) and Mahindra Holidays and Resorts India (Rs 400 crore).
Bangladesh appoints new chief justice
- Bangladesh has appointed Syed Mahmud Hossain as the new chief justice, three months after his predecessor and the country’s first Hindu chief justice was virtually forced to resign amid “grave” graft allegations.
- The president’s office said yesterday that Justice Hossain had been appointed as the 22nd chief justice of the country.
- Hossain’s appointment prompted acting chief justice Abdul Wahab Mian to immediately tender his resignation on an “unavoidable personal reason”.
- Mian was appointed as the acting chief justice after the country’s first Hindu chief justice Surendra Kumar Sinha resigned in November last year amid graft allegations.
India Open 2018: Beiwen Zhang edges past defending champion PV Sindhu in a thrilling final to win title
- Defending champion PV Sindhu suffered a narrow defeat in a pulsating final against American Beiwen Zhang to finish runner-up at the India Open Super 500 badminton tournament on Sunday.
- Playing her second tournament of the new season, Sindhu came agonisingly close to clinching the title before losing 18-21, 21-11, 20-22 to Zhang in the women’s singles final.
Veteran Politician Hukum Singh Dies At 79
- Veteran politician and BJP lawmaker from Uttar Pradesh Hukum Singh died on 03rd Feb at a hospital in Noida where he was admitted.
- He was 79.
- Hukum Singh, who was elected from the Kairana constituency.
World Cancer Day Observed
- The World Cancer Day is observed on 4 feb, across the world, including India with an aim to raise awareness among people about the disease.
- For 2016 to 2018, the theme for observing World Cancer Day is ‘We Can. I can.’
- People are expected to, individually and collectively, understand and work towards lessening the impact and harmful effects of the condition globally.